MouseScrappers.com

MouseScrappers.com (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Design Challenges (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9715)
-   -   Design Challenge #11 - June/July 2013 (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13628)

frogfish 06-01-2013 02:03 PM

Design Challenge #11 - June/July 2013
 
Color Swatch for Design Challenge #11 - June/July 2013

We are going to make this a 2 month challenge. Hopefully we'll get a lot of people joining in with the extra time!

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/...psc6c02a3c.png

Hex Codes: #ffd67e, #d8c4e0, #bee6e5, #7ca6d8, #01a7a3, #f35d2b

Don't forget that in addition to the above colors, you may also use these neutral colors: black, white, shades of gray, brown, silver and gold.

The colors in this swatch came from the Typhoon Lagoon logo and have a summer/beach feel so I thought it the perfect time to bring this swatch out. Although the colors came from Typhoon Lagoon, you don't have to base your mini on that or summer/beach for that matter. Anything goes! Just remember that you can't use the copyrighted/trademarked words or images that are associated with Typhoon Lagoon if you do decide to make that your theme.

Deadline - Friday, July 26 (by 11:59pm CST)
Reveal and Blog Hop on Friday, August 2.

This kit will not be sold in the MouseScrappers store. The only way to get it is to participate in the Design Challenge.


As you are planning your contribution, please look through the things others are making so the kit doesn't have a lot of duplicate items. We want this kit to have tons of variety! Try something new, learn a new technique, and stretch your boundaries a little! Check out this thread for resources, tutorials, tips, and tricks for designers.

We would like to include two templates in this kit. A PhotoShop template with at least 25 layers will fulfill the minimum submission requirement. You should submit both a layered PhotoShop document and untrimmed PNG files named 1,2,3,4,5,etc. The first two people to send me a PM indicating a desire to create a template for this month’s challenge will be listed below.

Template 1: larkd
Template 2: bonham0731

We will also need someone to create a charm for the DC PP charm bracelet. The charm should use the colors from or follow the current month's theme. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Charm:

Submission Guidelines:
  • Submissions can be any combination of papers, individual elements (such as ribbons, scatters, frames, etc), word art, alphas, and clusters. The minimum number of unique items is 5; the maximum number of unique items is 25. The same paper/element in different colors counts as one. A full alpha fulfills the minimum requirement. Although you may submit any combination of items you want, we would prefer to see themed mini kits (which include a combination of papers, elements, and possibly a coordinating alpha).
  • All papers and elements MUST use the provided color swatch—you can use any shade (darker or lighter) of the chosen colors. You may also use these neutral colors: black, white, shades of gray, brown, silver and gold.
  • You may not submit items for which you do not hold the copyright. If you use overlays, elements, etc. to create your items they must be labeled for commercial use (CU) and if their terms require, include with your submission a statement that gives proper credit.
  • You must include a TOU/copyright notice in your submission. A basic fill-in-the-blank TOU can be found here if you don’t have one of your own.
  • There is no mb maximum for submissions, but please make sure you are sizing a saving your items according to the following guidelines.
    • Papers should be:
      • 12”x12” 300dpi (which is 3600pixels x 3600pixels),
      • Saved as a JPG file that is about 3mb.
        • In Photoshop, after clicking on the “Save As” button, enter the desired file name and select “JPG” from the dropdown menu; click on “OK”. A popup screen should appear entitled “JPG Options”; change the quality value to “8” and click on “OK”. Saving the file with a value of “8 or 10” for quality will ensure it is the correct size (approx. 3mb).
    • Elements/Alphas should be:
      • Sized appropriately for a 12”x12” 300dpi layout; make your items the same size you would want them to be when creating a layout. For example: 12"x12" is not a reasonable size for flower elements; 2"x2" is more appropriate,
      • Trimmed so there is a minimal amount of blank canvas around the item,
      • Saved as a PNG file—the file size (mb) will vary based on the size (inches) of the element.
    • A preview of your submission is required. It should be:
      • 600pixels x 600pixels 72dpi,
      • It must minimally include your name (the one you used to save the files) and pictures of the items that you created for the challenge,
      • Previews may be as basic or elaborate as you want them to be.
        • A basic preview would tile the papers and/or line up the elements,
        • A more elaborate preview would arrange papers and/or elements in a more creative manner—as designers do to advertise their kits.
Some quality issues to pay attention to are listed below. If you have questions about what these things are or how to prevent/fix them, please ask! Everyone can benefit from adhering to these bullet points.
  • Do not pre-shadow elements or elements on papers.
  • Make sure paper textures aren’t blurry at 100%.
  • Check that elements are not cut off or missing parts.
  • When extracting or creating elements, be sure the edges are not jagged. Do NOT use the paint bucket tool to recolor elements--you will get jagged edges every time!
  • After creating a paper or element, check to be sure it is in gamut.
You can find more information on QC issues here.

IMPORTANT:
You may NOT include:
  • Any items trademarked or copyrighted by Disney. This includes but is not limited to names, words, song lyrics, and phrases (for example, you cannot create word art that says “Cinderella”, “Splash Mountain”, “Pop Century”, etc.).
  • Photos, clipart, silhouettes, etc. of Disney characters—no Mickey heads either!
  • Park, attraction, resort, restaurant, or movie signage/symbols/logos.
  • Photos of buildings/structures on Disney property.
  • Elements that are too similar to images copyrighted by Disney (for example: you may create a turtle that has similar coloration as Crush, but you may not create one with the same markings, eyes, expression, etc).
Your papers/elements should be useful for Disney layouts without infringing on the copyrights that Disney has on its characters, movies, parks, rides, attractions, etc.
The following website has a searchable database where you can look to see if a name/phrase is trademarked: http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp

*** If there are any questions about minimum requirements or copyright infringement, please ask. ***

Files and Zipped Folder(s):
Naming your files:
Your MS username_DC#_element type_description
Paper Example: MMouse_DC50_paper_green.jpg
Element Example: MMouse_DC50_button_red.png
Alpha Example: MMouse_DC50_alpha_uppercase_A.png
Naming your folder(s):
Your MS username_DC#
Example: MMouse_DC50
If your username is longer than 8 characters, please use an abbreviation. Avoid using spaces anywhere in the file/folder name. If you design under a different name, you may use that name instead of your MouseScrappers name.
Please limit the size of each zipped folder to 50mb. If your submission is larger than 50 mb, please split it into separate zipped folders to help control download times. If you have more than one zipped folder, name them in this manner:
Your MS username_DC#_folderletter
Example: MMouse_DC50_A & MMouse_DC50_B
To zip files place all your elements and a TOU inside a folder, then zip that folder. This is automatically creates a folder containing your files in whatever folder the user unzips to.
There are many ways to compress (zip) a folder. You can use a program such as WINZIP/WINRAR or, if you are on a Windows operating system, there is a utility built into Windows that you can use.
  • Right click on the folder containing your items and select “Send To”. Click on “Compressed (zipped) folder”. A new folder will be created in the same directory with the same name but it will be compressed (zipped).

Uploading Submissions:
We will be utilizing DropITtoME to collect submissions this month. When you are ready to submit you items, send frogfish (Christina) a PM for the link and password. Don't worry, it's super easy and I will receive your submission immediately (no waiting to download).

Disclaimer:
This kit will not be sold in the MouseScrappers store. The only way to get it is to participate! Every month you participate in this challenge, you will receive the resulting design challenge collaboration kit (for that month) free of charge, but will receive no compensation (monetary or otherwise) for your submission to the challenge. Copyright of your submission remains with you.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. You DON'T have to be a designer; anyone can do this! The more people who participate, the bigger the monthly kit will be!

shahar29 06-01-2013 08:41 PM

Do you need to use all of the colors in the swatch?

Thanks!!!

larkd 06-01-2013 09:08 PM

Ill volunteer for one of the templates

frogfish 06-02-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahar29 (Post 135648)
Do you need to use all of the colors in the swatch?

Thanks!!!

No, you don't have to use all of the colors, you just can't use colors that aren't included in the swatch (although you can use black, white, all shades of grey, brown, silver, and gold even if they aren't part of the swatch).

frogfish 06-02-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larkd (Post 135652)
Ill volunteer for one of the templates

Thank you! I updated the original post with your name.

WDW Scrap Princess 06-02-2013 04:43 AM

Any suggestions of themes with the color swatch? That helps me!

larkd 06-02-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDW Scrap Princess (Post 135662)
Any suggestions of themes with the color swatch? That helps me!

For some reason, I think Mad Tea Party when I look at these colors

frogfish 06-02-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDW Scrap Princess (Post 135662)
Any suggestions of themes with the color swatch? That helps me!

If you only use select colors, you could use this swatch for Tigger, Cinderella, Daisy Duck, Stitch, King Louie, Flik & Princess Atta, Nemo & Friends, Ariel (although her hair might be a stretch), Ralph from Wreck-It-Ralph, or Perry the Platapus. If you add some browns, you could do Splash Mountain. With white and grey, Expedition Everest. With some browns, I see some beautiful flower colors for the Polynesian Resort. Although it isn't a perfect match, it also makes me think of the chalk painting part in the Mary Poppins movie--the carousel horses. Maybe the Echo Lake area in Hollywood Studios?

I'll keep thinking...

Chef Minnie Mouse 06-02-2013 11:14 AM

:woohoo: I was having DC withdrawals!
Add me to the blog hop please.

bonham0731 06-04-2013 06:31 AM

I've never designed anything before, but I would love to submit a template to get me started. :)

frogfish 06-04-2013 06:40 AM

Great to have you on board! I have you down for a template!

afirmbeliever 06-06-2013 09:08 AM

I don't know how I missed this. I closed my designer shop, but I would never give up doing the designer Challenge at Mousescrappers. Count me in. (I'll be in the blog hop too). Going to dig out my designer ears and get to work.

sthompsonfoto 06-12-2013 06:55 AM

I really REALLY want to participate in this but I have never designed anything before, SO.... I am asking for a little help, can you guys guide me to some good tutorials so I can get into another habit that I don't really have time for?? I would love to host challanges and such also but I need to be able to offer a PP, So any help her will be appriciated.
Thanks so much

msbagley 06-14-2013 08:35 PM

Count me in...Add me to the hop too!
Thanks!

shahar29 06-15-2013 12:06 AM

I'm going to try! Not sure about the blog hop yet - not sure how to work that out! I have a scrapbooking blog, but I have no idea how I link a mini-kit or whatever to the page - is there a place I can go for info on how to set that part up?

Jennipher 06-15-2013 09:54 AM

I'm in. I'll work on a Phineas and Ferb theme.

Cindyrelly 06-16-2013 10:49 AM

I'm so glad these challenges were changed to every TWO months because I love participating and this way I can find time. I will definitely stick with the Summer Water Park Theme since I want to be sure I am able to participate and anything else would be taking on too much of a CHALLENGE at this point. I will have plenty for the blog train too so add me to that list please. We are spending all next week finally using our SeaWorld and Aquatica passes and then heading South for the Summer and spending lots of time on the lovely Gulf Beaches here in Florida :) Water Theme it IS! :woohoo:

afirmbeliever 06-16-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahar29 (Post 136188)
I'm going to try! Not sure about the blog hop yet - not sure how to work that out! I have a scrapbooking blog, but I have no idea how I link a mini-kit or whatever to the page - is there a place I can go for info on how to set that part up?

I can help you with it. When it gets closer I'll tell you have to get it on your blog. For now work on designing something. Get your freebie ready. Then we'll package it, zip it. Upload it and then get it ready for the blog hop. Just remind me when it gets closer.

I'm still trying to figure out where to go with this. What theme to do. :confused:

afirmbeliever 06-16-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindyrelly (Post 136231)
I'm so glad these challenges were changed to every TWO months because I love participating and this way I can find time. I will definitely stick with the Summer Water Park Theme since I want to be sure I am able to participate and anything else would be taking on too much of a CHALLENGE at this point. I will have plenty for the blog train too so add me to that list please. We are spending all next week finally using our SeaWorld and Aquatica passes and then heading South for the Summer and spending lots of time on the lovely Gulf Beaches here in Florida :) Water Theme it IS! :woohoo:

Sounds like a great time. Are you going to Siesta Key? One of my favorite beaches. If you go there, go to Kilwin's on St. Armand's circle. Great ice cream and fudge. You can't beat the taste and smell. (I used to work there years and years ago). There is also and AMAZING Italian restaurant on the circle. Best Tomato Basil soup I've ever had.

afirmbeliever 06-16-2013 12:15 PM

Okay, I think I'm going to do a Summer Tourist kit. Camera, Leis, Hawaiian prints, suntan block, Tickets, suitcase, maps, sunglasses, white socks and sandals, flipflops, That sort of thing. (Cinderelly-I know you mentioned doing water parks. I'll stay away from that aspect. I'll do more of a tourist that would be visiting theme parks. I'm sure we'll have some overlapping items, but not many.).

I'll definitely be adding some brown into the kit. I was wondering if we can add any green leaves to the kit? Not sure I'll need to, but just in case.

grandmaliza 06-16-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afirmbeliever (Post 136234)
Sounds like a great time. Are you going to Siesta Key? One of my favorite beaches. If you go there, go to Kilwin's on St. Armand's circle. Great ice cream and fudge. You can't beat the taste and smell. (I used to work there years and years ago). There is also and AMAZING Italian restaurant on the circle. Best Tomato Basil soup I've ever had.

OMG Kilwin's! That's the best! Discovered them in Siesta Key and then last year with the grandkids in south Michigan. Thank you for the reminder!

afirmbeliever 06-16-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmaliza (Post 136238)
OMG Kilwin's! That's the best! Discovered them in Siesta Key and then last year with the grandkids in south Michigan. Thank you for the reminder!

When I used to come home from work, my boyfriend's friends used to say "Can we smell you?". LOL. I smelt like waffle cones and fudge all wrapped up into one. I have to say though, I think I love their lemonade best of all. (I think the name of the rest. is Venezia. Huge portions, great food).

Cindyrelly 06-16-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afirmbeliever (Post 136235)
Okay, I think I'm going to do a Summer Tourist kit. Camera, Leis, Hawaiian prints, suntan block, Tickets, suitcase, maps, sunglasses, white socks and sandals, flipflops, That sort of thing. (Cinderelly-I know you mentioned doing water parks. I'll stay away from that aspect. I'll do more of a tourist that would be visiting theme parks. I'm sure we'll have some overlapping items, but not many.).

I'll definitely be adding some brown into the kit. I was wondering if we can add any green leaves to the kit? Not sure I'll need to, but just in case.

Oh, no I have never been to Siesta Key although I have lived in FLA for over 40 years and grew up just outside of Orlando and still live here!! I have family in Naples and that is where I go and have done for over 25 years. I even lived on Marco Island for awhile when starting out in community college many moons ago but came back here to finish my bachelors at UCF and have stayed... been thinking about moving to Naples though. I'm ready to become a beach bum and don't care for the atlantic and beaches like Ormond, Daytona, New Smyrna and Cocoa... they are Too rough. Had enough of this Rat Race around here. Sure has changed a lot but I guess everywhere has. Even Naples has, it used to be a sleepy little Winter "Snow-Bird" destination but now definitely isn't the Ghost Town in the Summer that it used to be!

Don't worry about overlap on themes or whatnot :) The more the merrier!! For some reason, every single challenge seems to have just the perfect balance of everything and turns out fabulous! :hooray:

I just have Summer Fun on my mind!! It has been Summer here for awhile now.... HOT, HUMID and ready to CHILL! :flash:

Cindyrelly 06-16-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afirmbeliever (Post 136241)
When I used to come home from work, my boyfriend's friends used to say "Can we smell you?". LOL. I smelt like waffle cones and fudge all wrapped up into one. I have to say though, I think I love their lemonade best of all. (I think the name of the rest. is Venezia. Huge portions, great food).

OH, I just noticed we have the same camera! I got mine for my birthday back in April and have not even turned it on :( So what do you think about it? I wanted a Nikon but everything seemed so intimidating so I just bought it but.... yeah, I need to start using it and not the camera on my phone!:idea:

StacyLynn 06-18-2013 11:11 AM

new.....
 
I think I would like to try this.... do we each pick our own theme? Is it ok to do the same as someone?? and if we are a designer can we later sell our part??

frogfish 06-19-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sthompsonfoto (Post 136067)
I really REALLY want to participate in this but I have never designed anything before, SO.... I am asking for a little help, can you guys guide me to some good tutorials so I can get into another habit that I don't really have time for?? I would love to host challanges and such also but I need to be able to offer a PP, So any help her will be appriciated.
Thanks so much

We have collected some resources that you might find useful although I'm not sure how many are tutorials per se. You can find them here: http://mousescrappers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10172

frogfish 06-19-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StacyLynn (Post 136268)
I think I would like to try this.... do we each pick our own theme? Is it ok to do the same as someone?? and if we are a designer can we later sell our part??

Everyone picks their own theme and you may do the same theme as someone else (because of individual styles they'll turn out different anyway). Anything goes, just stick to the color palette and watch out for copyright/trademark violations. You retain the rights to your submission, so you may sell it if you choose to do so.

Wahoomrm 06-23-2013 01:19 PM

Count me in. I've been kicking around ideas and will do something "sea themed" ... probably Ariel-ish.

StacyLynn 06-23-2013 07:45 PM

I am doing a beach n sea theme. :)

momeee 06-27-2013 02:11 PM

I made up an alpha, some papers and some brush stamps...that's about as close to designing as I get but I'm trying to stretch a bit each time! :)

Christina, I know I'm a bit ahead of things (I just wanted to do it now while I had the time!) but I've got mine ready to upload so just let me know when and where! :)

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else creates!

shahar29 07-03-2013 10:25 AM

I am almost done with my kit. I got sidetracked participating in a bunch of other Mousescrappers challenges! But I will get back to the kit and finish ASAP!

I am trying to work on a small mini-kit (just a few pieces) for the blog hop - but still am very worried about that as my blog is literally just a few scrapbook LO's I have done!!! I have no idea how to spice it up and make it look nice!!! or add the blog hop list and my freebie link when the time comes! I will need some serious help!

My theme is princesses - very general - but lots of fun pieces! (I hope!! *wink*)

afirmbeliever 07-03-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahar29 (Post 136719)
I am almost done with my kit. I got sidetracked participating in a bunch of other Mousescrappers challenges! But I will get back to the kit and finish ASAP!

I am trying to work on a small mini-kit (just a few pieces) for the blog hop - but still am very worried about that as my blog is literally just a few scrapbook LO's I have done!!! I have no idea how to spice it up and make it look nice!!! or add the blog hop list and my freebie link when the time comes! I will need some serious help!

My theme is princesses - very general - but lots of fun pieces! (I hope!! *wink*)

You're way ahead of me, I haven't even started.

I would be more than happy to help you. Can you private message me a link to your blog? We'll look at your blog-spice it up.

As far as adding a link for your freebie and the blog hop information, it's very easy and I can help with that too. If you want that is. :)

You've inspired me to get a move on. Think I'll work on my part today.

Wahoomrm 07-08-2013 10:17 AM

MSDC 11
 
Hi, Christina ~
I'm ready to submit my portion of MSDC #11. Should I use the same instructions as I did for MSDC #10?

MJAJmom 07-08-2013 04:01 PM

Sorry ladies, but I won't be able to make it for this challenge. We just moved from TX to CA in June and I'm still swamped with getting our house settled. Lots of people coming in/out of the house fixing things and delivering things. I'll have to catch up on the next one. Have fun designing!

msbagley 07-08-2013 07:27 PM

I'm in Linda's Boat, we just moved from CA to Maine. And there is just too much to do. So I don't think I can make this one happen. I will be ready for #12 though! I hate to miss it, but I would want to do you girls justice, and I just don't have time for that.

Cindyrelly 07-09-2013 03:17 PM

I just uploaded 24 different/unique papers and an embellishment. I had so much more I want to do but have been so busy and cannot seem to get going on all the embellishments so I am throwing in the towel. I really like how all the different papers turned out. They are all patterned and mostly Summer/Water themed and I have a wave embellishment with bubbles. I don't forsee myself finding time before the deadline so that's that. I am not participating in the blog hop because I am in the middle of taking down my blog for the past 6 years and moving to my own website/blog but haven't had time for that either! Change is good though :D

kelseyll 07-15-2013 12:10 PM

It has been a long time since I participated in this...I've been swamped with making school yearbooks! =) So, are we posting our parts to download on our blogs? Is that the bloghop, or are we submitting our main part to you through DropItToMe and then making an extra somethin' somethin' for the blog hop?

I'll have to think about this color scheme....:rolleyes:...but I'm loving what everyone else came up with so far...:yes:...I am going to *try* to do this! =)

StacyLynn 07-15-2013 08:31 PM

Do we post a preview in this thread? Or in the gallery?

frogfish 07-15-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wahoomrm (Post 136871)
Hi, Christina ~
I'm ready to submit my portion of MSDC #11. Should I use the same instructions as I did for MSDC #10?

The dropittome link and password are the same as they have been for a while. I'll just keep using them until they get compromised and spam starts rolling in. I'll let you all know if they change. Just send your parts when they are ready!

frogfish 07-15-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelseyll (Post 137035)
It has been a long time since I participated in this...I've been swamped with making school yearbooks! =) So, are we posting our parts to download on our blogs? Is that the bloghop, or are we submitting our main part to you through DropItToMe and then making an extra somethin' somethin' for the blog hop?

I'll have to think about this color scheme....:rolleyes:...but I'm loving what everyone else came up with so far...:yes:...I am going to *try* to do this! =)

You will need to submit your part to me through dropittome and make a little something extra if you want to participate in the blog hop :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Copyright 2009 - 2024 MouseScrappers.com, All rights reserved.
MouseScrappers.com is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries.
Visit Disney's official web site at Disney.com As to Disney artwork, logos and properties: © Disney
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger