MouseScrappers.com

MouseScrappers.com (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Design Challenges (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9715)
-   -   Design Challenge #7 - October 2012 - DISCUSSION & QUESTIONS (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11994)

frogfish 09-17-2012 07:42 AM

Design Challenge #7 - October 2012 - DISCUSSION & QUESTIONS
 
Here is where you can discuss and ask questions about DC7 (October's villian themed challenge). If you missed the post about the challenge, it is posted here.* That is also where you can see which villains have been taken. This is what it says:

Quote:

I know it is a bit early to be talking about the next design challenge but since it is going to be different from anything we've done before, I want to give you a head start.

The October design challenge is a theme challenge.* And the theme is Disney Villains!

So, here's how it's going to work...each participant will choose a villain and make a mini kit based on him/her (and side kicks if desired).* Note: this is not about the heroes/heroines, it should be 100% evil! If you would rather, you may choose to do a general "evil" kit although my hope is that most people will choose a specific villain.* With all of the talent I've seen coming out of these Design Challenges, this is sure to be a go-to villain kit for any Disney fan!

The villains will be assigned on a first come, first served basis starting on Saturday, September 22 at 9am CST.* You may only sign up by posting in this thread (not by pm).* This thread will remain locked until that time so everyone has the same opportunity to get their villain of choice (I really tried to choose a time that would be convenient across time zones of at least our regulars).* Mark your calendars!


Deadline - Friday, October 26 (by 11:59pm CST)
Reveal and Blog Hop on Friday, November 2.

As you are planning your contribution, please look through the things others are making so the kit doesn't have a lot of duplicate items. We want this kit to have tons of variety! Try something new, learn a new technique, and stretch your boundaries a little! Check out this thread for resources, tutorials, tips, and tricks for designers.

We need someone to create a charm for the DC PP charm bracelet. The charm should use the colors from or follow the current month's theme. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Charm:

Submission Guidelines:
  • Submissions can be any combination of papers, individual elements (such as ribbons, scatters, frames, etc), word art, alphas, and clusters. The minimum number of unique items is 5; the maximum number of unique items is 25. The same paper/element in different colors counts as one. A full alpha fulfills the minimum requirement. Although you may submit any combination of items you want, we would prefer to see themed mini kits (which include a combination of papers, elements, and possibly a coordinating alpha).
  • You may not submit items for which you do not hold the copyright. If you use overlays, elements, etc. to create your items they must be labeled for commercial use (CU) and if their terms require, include with your submission a statement that gives proper credit.
  • You must include a TOU/copyright notice in your submission. A basic fill-in-the-blank TOU can be found here if you don’t have one of your own.
  • There is no mb maximum for submissions, but please make sure you are sizing a saving your items according to the following guidelines.
    • Papers should be:
      • 12”x12” 300dpi (which is 3600pixels x 3600pixels),
      • Saved as a JPG file that is about 3mb.
        • In Photoshop, after clicking on the “Save As” button, enter the desired file name and select “JPG” from the dropdown menu; click on “OK”. A popup screen should appear entitled “JPG Options”; change the quality value to “8” and click on “OK”. Saving the file with a value of “8 or 10” for quality will ensure it is the correct size (approx. 3mb).
    • Elements/Alphas should be:
      • Sized appropriately for a 12”x12” 300dpi layout; make your items the same size you would want them to be when creating a layout. For example: 12"x12" is not a reasonable size for flower elements; 2"x2" is more appropriate,
      • Trimmed so there is a minimal amount of blank canvas around the item,
      • Saved as a PNG file—the file size (mb) will vary based on the size (inches) of the element.
    • A preview of your submission is required. It should be:
      • 600pixels x 600pixels 72dpi,
      • It must minimally include your name (the one you used to save the files) and pictures of the items that you created for the challenge,
      • Previews may be as basic or elaborate as you want them to be.
        • A basic preview would tile the papers and/or line up the elements,
        • A more elaborate preview would arrange papers and/or elements in a more creative manner—as designers do to advertise their kits.
Some quality issues to pay attention to are listed below. If you have questions about what these things are or how to prevent/fix them, please ask! Everyone can benefit from adhering to these bullet points.
  • Do not pre-shadow elements or elements on papers.
  • Make sure paper textures aren’t blurry at 100%.
  • Check that elements are not cut off or missing parts.
  • When extracting or creating elements, be sure the edges are not jagged. Do NOT use the paint bucket tool to recolor elements--you will get jagged edges every time!
  • After creating a paper or element, check to be sure it is in gamut.
You can find more information on QC issues here.

IMPORTANT:
You may NOT include:
  • Any items trademarked or copyrighted by Disney. This includes but is not limited to names, words, song lyrics, and phrases (for example, you cannot create word art that says “Cinderella”, “Splash Mountain”, “Pop Century”, etc.).
  • Photos, clipart, silhouettes, etc. of Disney characters—no Mickey heads either!
  • Park, attraction, resort, restaurant, or movie signage/symbols/logos.
  • Photos of buildings/structures on Disney property.
  • Elements that are too similar to images copyrighted by Disney (for example: you may create a turtle that has similar coloration as Crush, but you may not create one with the same markings, eyes, expression, etc).
Your papers/elements should be useful for Disney layouts without infringing on the copyrights that Disney has on its characters, movies, parks, rides, attractions, etc.
The following website has a searchable database where you can look to see if a name/phrase is trademarked: http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp

*** If there are any questions about minimum requirements or copyright infringement, please ask. ***

Files and Zipped Folder(s):
Naming your files:
Your MS username_DC#_element type_description
Paper Example: MMouse_DC50_paper_green.jpg
Element Example: MMouse_DC50_button_red.png
Alpha Example: MMouse_DC50_alpha_uppercase_A.png
Naming your folder(s):
Your MS username_DC#
Example: MMouse_DC50
If your username is longer than 8 characters, please use an abbreviation. Avoid using spaces anywhere in the file/folder name. If you design under a different name, you may use that name instead of your MouseScrappers name.
Please limit the size of each zipped folder to 50mb. If your submission is larger than 50 mb, please split it into separate zipped folders to help control download times. If you have more than one zipped folder, name them in this manner:
Your MS username_DC#_folderletter
Example: MMouse_DC50_A & MMouse_DC50_B
To zip files place all your elements and a TOU inside a folder, then zip that folder. This is automatically creates a folder containing your files in whatever folder the user unzips to.
There are many ways to compress (zip) a folder. You can use a program such as WINZIP/WINRAR or, if you are on a Windows operating system, there is a utility built into Windows that you can use.
  • Right click on the folder containing your items and select “Send To”. Click on “Compressed (zipped) folder”. A new folder will be created in the same directory with the same name but it will be compressed (zipped).

Uploading Submissions:
We will be utilizing DropITtoME to collect submissions this month. When you are ready to submit you items, send frogfish (Christina) a PM for the link and password. Don't worry, it's super easy and I will receive your submission immediately (no waiting to download).

Disclaimer:
The completed kit will be added to the MouseScrappers store for anyone to purchase. All proceeds from the sale of the kit will be used to keep MouseScrappers running. Every month you participate in this challenge, you will receive the resulting design challenge collaboration kit (for that month) free of charge, but will receive no compensation (monetary or otherwise) for your submission to the challenge or for the sale of the collaboration kit. Any and all proceeds from the sale of the completed kit go to MouseScrappers. Copyright of your submission remains with you.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. You DON'T have to be a designer; anyone can do this! The more people who participate, the bigger the monthly kit will be!

jr4mni 09-17-2012 12:39 PM

This is a PHENOMENAL idea! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!

Oh, I'll have to make this one FOR SURE! :yeah:

Great idea for the villans... Off to make my list...:hooray:

WDW Scrap Princess 09-17-2012 01:29 PM

I love when you add the suggested uses for each DC Christina, it makes it so much nicer to use the Kit and to Design it. Thanks for doing that! It helps!:thumbsup:

amordemar 09-17-2012 02:30 PM

how fun! so excited - really want to participate in this one!! :D

mayooo 09-17-2012 02:52 PM

Yes I really love to participate too! I know which villain I want already too ;).

afirmbeliever 09-17-2012 03:52 PM

Hmmm, I might actually sit out on this one. We'll see what time allows.

Loveofpm 09-17-2012 04:08 PM

lol
 
Gosh Darnet!!! I just did a whole kit for Sept on the Villains.... lol. Oh well I'm sure since I didn't upload I can figure something out...

frogfish 09-17-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afirmbeliever (Post 118826)
Hmmm, I might actually sit out on this one. We'll see what time allows.

No way! You have to do EVERY design challenge :)

frogfish 09-17-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loveofpm (Post 118830)
Gosh Darnet!!! I just did a whole kit for Sept on the Villains.... lol. Oh well I'm sure since I didn't upload I can figure something out...

No big deal, a lot of people are doing Halloween for DC6. Just submit your general villain kit for DC6 and concentrate on a specific one for DC7. MNSSHP is huge on MouseScrappers. You can't have too much!

Loveofpm 09-17-2012 04:24 PM

Don't get me wrong, I will participate with both. I've learned new design tricks after doing 2 challenges. And I love the Villains.

Cindyrelly 09-17-2012 06:42 PM

Ooooh, I know who I want and it's not on the list either... so I just wait and request when the thread is unlocked? Okay, I am so busy with so many things going on this fall, all good!! I will try to think up some back-ups as well. So I see from your selection we can do movies? Not just characters you would encounter in the theme parks.... hmmmm... This should be loads of FUN! :yeah:

frogfish 09-17-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindyrelly (Post 118842)
Ooooh, I know who I want and it's not on the list either... so I just wait and request when the thread is unlocked?

That's right. You have a great chance of getting who you want if no one knows who it is!

Saar 09-17-2012 09:17 PM

Great idea!
Love the new theme.
Count me in.:yeah:

marinapj 09-18-2012 04:23 AM

What an awesome theme!!!

larkd 09-18-2012 05:54 PM

Love the Villian theme idea. I haven't even finished DC6 yet!

frogfish 09-19-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larkd (Post 118871)
Love the Villian theme idea. I haven't even finished DC6 yet!

I'm right there with you; I've barely started on DC6 :( I envy all of you who can finish your amazing designs so quickly...Please tell me how you do it!!

Loveofpm 09-20-2012 06:30 PM

I suffer from insomnia LOL, that's how I'm able to get them done so fast... heh heh

mayooo 09-22-2012 06:09 AM

What time is it? Thought 9 am was 3 pm here...

Jennipher 09-22-2012 06:12 AM

Sounds fun! Can we choose whatever colors work best for our villian or is there a color scheme?

frogfish 09-22-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennipher (Post 119114)
Sounds fun! Can we choose whatever colors work best for our villian or is there a color scheme?

You can use any colors you want this time.

frogfish 09-22-2012 07:12 AM

Don't forget, we are choosing our villains today. The selection thread is now open here

jr4mni 09-22-2012 08:11 AM

I'm so excited to have my villain. As much as I want to start working on my villain kit, I STILL HAVE TO FINISH DC#6!!!!

Agghhhhh... So excited about this!

afirmbeliever 09-24-2012 06:29 AM

I was wondering what direction everyone is going in?

Seeing as we can't make the actual characters, are you just doing a general kit in the colors of your villian? Adding 'creepy' extras? I've got a few ideas, but could use more, and want to make sure my kit "goes' with the rest for the mega kit.

jr4mni 09-24-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afirmbeliever (Post 119266)
I was wondering what direction everyone is going in?

Seeing as we can't make the actual characters, are you just doing a general kit in the colors of your villian? Adding 'creepy' extras? I've got a few ideas, but could use more, and want to make sure my kit "goes' with the rest for the mega kit.


I'm going with colors of my villian. Doing word art specific to her and the tools that she had... cloak, dagger, hazelnut soooouuuup, etc. Papers will be more specialty papers that are villiany - think grungy - not cardstock like. At least that's my plan... :idea:

mayooo 09-24-2012 07:28 AM

I've got Cheshire Cat, so I'm going with pink/purple. Not very evil colors haha, but those are just the colors I think fit best with the character. I might add some grey/black, but I have not really started yet so I'm still thinking :).

Saar 09-24-2012 08:57 AM

I'm going for the colors of my villain too.
I'm not going to make a scary, creepy kit, but I'll add the items that make him who he is.

But I don't think it's an easy challenge.

Loveofpm 09-24-2012 04:25 PM

dc7
 
for me I'm going with the colors as well (though I know this kit will have a lot of purple), but also with elements that kinda go with her. I'm going the grungy route as well, being that Maleficent has a grunge to her, thorns and flames. The irony for me is that my Sept challenge kit was all about the villains to begin with, so I've already used some of what I could have used with this kit on that one, But I already have a ton of ideas for this one...

amordemar 09-26-2012 12:06 PM

I have Dr Facilier so I'll be doing a lot of with a New Orleans/voodoo feel and colors of my villain and of New Orleans (like Mardi Gras). Getting some good ideas!!!:cool:

Cindyrelly 09-27-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afirmbeliever (Post 119266)
I was wondering what direction everyone is going in?

Seeing as we can't make the actual characters, are you just doing a general kit in the colors of your villian? Adding 'creepy' extras? I've got a few ideas, but could use more, and want to make sure my kit "goes' with the rest for the mega kit.

This is definitely going to be challenging! I have been wondering somethings myself about copyright infringement etc. and I definitely have some inventions and quotes in mind... these are okay aren't they? I haven't a clue about the colors just yet because since we can't make the character (except maybe I can try and draw him for the bloghop) then I'm just gonna see what colors I come up with as I go along. I have to wrap up what I have for DC6 though. Got started with a bang but been completely side-swiped otherwise in my "real" life :ack: I won't give up though. This is my one thing I do for me!

mayooo 09-27-2012 12:39 PM

I am going to make a cheshire cat character, but not the original disney one of course. Hope that's allowed. (Because I've made it already :rolleyes: and it's been soooo much work, way too much for a freebie...)

Cindyrelly 09-28-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayooo (Post 119462)
I am going to make a cheshire cat character, but not the original disney one of course. Hope that's allowed. (Because I've made it already :rolleyes: and it's been soooo much work, way too much for a freebie...)

Oh, so perhaps I could make a Doof Character just as long as he isn't looking exactly, or even very closely, like the actual Disney Copyrighted Character? I see that done a lot in the Prince/Princess type kits out there for sale... Is that okay? Guess now that DC6 is in the past I need to brush up more on the copyright thing!!

frogfish 09-28-2012 11:26 PM

If any of you have specific copyright questions, please let me know. If you need to check on a phrase, just send me a PM with the phrase in quotes. If you need to check on a specific image, save it and upload it to photobucket (or something similar) and send me the link. I will look at it and if necessary send it on to Carol to make sure everyone is on the up and up! If you have any doubts about something in your kit, please send it to me as soon as possible. I would like to have all of the copyright questions/problems taken care of way before the deadline so they don't delay the collab. Thanks!

jr4mni 09-29-2012 12:48 PM

Oh, I'm so happy that dc6 is done. Now I can really put my blood, sweat and tears into this kit. Oh, I'm so excited to get working on this.

Question for everyone, do you make a color swatch before you start a kit? Or make one even at all?

mayooo 09-29-2012 01:56 PM

Yes I do make a color swatch. I just pick some colors that fit my idea and save them in my photoshop swatches so I keep using the same colors everytime (and not some that are slightly off).

jr4mni 09-29-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayooo (Post 119603)
Yes I do make a color swatch. I just pick some colors that fit my idea and save them in my photoshop swatches so I keep using the same colors everytime (and not some that are slightly off).

Thank you! I just got my swatch made. Now to start!!!

afirmbeliever 09-29-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayooo (Post 119603)
Yes I do make a color swatch. I just pick some colors that fit my idea and save them in my photoshop swatches so I keep using the same colors everytime (and not some that are slightly off).


I usually find a picture of the "theme" that I'm doing. Then I pick five to six colors I want to work with. A few that match and then 1-2 that add that bit of color and contrast. I also keep in mind what I'm planning on making, and make sure the colors will work with that.

afirmbeliever 09-29-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr4mni (Post 119272)
I'm going with colors of my villian. Doing word art specific to her and the tools that she had... cloak, dagger, hazelnut soooouuuup, etc. Papers will be more specialty papers that are villiany - think grungy - not cardstock like. At least that's my plan... :idea:

Thanks. I think that is what I'm going to do. I know the color scheme at least. I wasn't even going to do this one, but I'm actually really excited.

mayooo 09-29-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afirmbeliever (Post 119623)
I usually find a picture of the "theme" that I'm doing. Then I pick five to six colors I want to work with. A few that match and then 1-2 that add that bit of color and contrast. I also keep in mind what I'm planning on making, and make sure the colors will work with that.

Yes, I usually work with a sample picture too. And a contrast color indeed! Forgot to mention.

mayooo 09-29-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogfish (Post 119567)
If any of you have specific copyright questions, please let me know. If you need to check on a phrase, just send me a PM with the phrase in quotes. If you need to check on a specific image, save it and upload it to photobucket (or something similar) and send me the link. I will look at it and if necessary send it on to Carol to make sure everyone is on the up and up! If you have any doubts about something in your kit, please send it to me as soon as possible. I would like to have all of the copyright questions/problems taken care of way before the deadline so they don't delay the collab. Thanks!

I wrote you a pm but you haven't answered yet?

frogfish 09-30-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayooo (Post 119633)
I wrote you a pm but you haven't answered yet?

I just replied :)

I have been swamped getting DC6 packaged...still a lot to do :eek:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Copyright 2009 - 2024 MouseScrappers.com, All rights reserved.
MouseScrappers.com is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries.
Visit Disney's official web site at Disney.com As to Disney artwork, logos and properties: © Disney
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger