MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Scrapbooking > Photography
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
AmandaAnn
Trying to find Nemo in the Tomorrowland lagoon

Software: PSE 8
Camera: Canon Rebel XS
I don't know what my camera is set to! I need to find out!

I link to MouseScrappers! Pirate Ears United States of America Japan Pirate Flag Disney Vacation Club Member Monorail Captain EO Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Magical Express Expedition Everest D23 Member I love DCL! Star Tours Rocket Jets

AmandaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2010, 04:23 AM   #12
inkspots
Enjoying the whimsy of PhilharMagic

Software: PSCS5, PSE 5.0
Camera: Canon 40D
I only shoot RAW too for the reasons Wenrob posted and also whitebalance. How many times have you shot a photo in the wrong white balance and then find you have blue landscapes? Shooting RAW has saved many a photo this way. It also just allows for more flexibility for photo manipulation. I don't think it's as a big deal now as before since PSCS3 can process jpegs like RAW files. But still. Yes, it takes a lot of memory and a little longer to get your photos, but not too bad. I think were going to shoot a lot of our summer RAW+jpeg so we can upload the photos to Costco easier and faster. (just in case. )

inkspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:38 AM   #13
WenRob
Arrived in Orlando, waiting for Magical Express

Software: Corel PSP X3
Camera: Nikon D90 & D700 (woo hoo!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspots View Post
I only shoot RAW too for the reasons Wenrob posted and also whitebalance. How many times have you shot a photo in the wrong white balance and then find you have blue landscapes? Shooting RAW has saved many a photo this way. It also just allows for more flexibility for photo manipulation. I don't think it's as a big deal now as before since PSCS3 can process jpegs like RAW files. But still. Yes, it takes a lot of memory and a little longer to get your photos, but not too bad. I think were going to shoot a lot of our summer RAW+jpeg so we can upload the photos to Costco easier and faster. (just in case. )
But if the info isn't there, the info isn't there. Like I said if you totally blow something in jpeg, it's just gone, the camera throws it away. With RAW you have it there to work with. Being able to process a jpeg in a RAW converter still won't yield the results processing a RAW would, kwim?
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Pirate Ears Teacups Jungle Cruise Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Ive met another MouseScrapper

WenRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
Carolc
Administrator

Software: PSE 7
Camera: Nikon D50
Wow, Wendy... you are so knowledgeable about all this stuff! The second photo is a dramatic improvement. I'm sure if you tried to lighten a jpg, you'd lose all your color.

I did shoot RAW + jpeg on our trip in April. I've loaded all the jpgs to my PC and all the RAW files to my external hard drive. If there are any I want to include in a layout, I'll pull in the corresponding RAW file.

Do you have any tips for working with RAW editors? I kind of tweak the levers back and forth, but I really don't know what I'm doing. Which settings do you adjust the most? Do you use the histogram at all?

Thanks!

Studio1955
Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Flag Pirate Dog Pop Century Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member Pirate Ears Disney Vacation Club Member Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Minnie Cupcake Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Minnie\'s Shoe Anna Ive met another MouseScrapper Transfer an existing reservation

Carolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #15
WenRob

Carol, you said you have Light Room right?

My very basic settings are:
Leave sharpening on it's default settings
Camera Calibration: Portrait Mode
Tweak Exposure up or down if needed
Tweak WB if needed (find something white where all 3 numbers match and then adjust from there)
Up Vibrancy slider to 14
Histogram-Strong Contrast
Go back to blacks and move them up or down-be careful with this, I see people crushing their blacks because it punches up the saturation but you lose a bunch of detail. Printing becomes a hot mess when that happens.

After this I my brighten things up more or add some fill light. Then crop if needed.

The cool thing about Light Room is you can copy the setting on one pic and paste them on to another. Makes processing a whole lot faster.

I avoid over saturation like the plague I think it's an epidemic and it really messes with skin tones. The vibrancy slider will punch stuff up without messing up your skin tones. For my pics from this trip I have been adding +2 saturation and upping the vibrancy to 17. For me that's a lot but you should see some of the saturation nightmares out there!

I export these to a new folder as tiffs then take them into PSP to sharpen w/pretty basic settings then convert to jpg.

That's about it. Sometimes things need more work sometimes less, it all depends. Hope that helps!
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Pirate Ears Teacups Jungle Cruise Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Ive met another MouseScrapper

Last edited by WenRob; 06-13-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #16
TanyaH666
Fascinated by the World of Color

Software: CS5 and PSE8
Camera: Sony NEX-5R & QX-100
do you NEED a RAW editor to use them? or can i just do what editing i need in PSE??
Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Jungle Cruise I link to MouseScrappers! Mickey Pumpkin Thanks for being an outstanding contributor Tanya! Speed Scrapper! Captain EO Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! I got Maleficent as a dragon for referring people to MouseScrappers! Limited Edition Amazon pin #3 Expedition Everest Magical Express Pirate Dog Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Pop Century Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Cutester Minnie Pumpkin King Kaa Ursula Pete Ive met another MouseScrapper Eiffel Tower

TanyaH666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #17
WenRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaH666 View Post
do you NEED a RAW editor to use them? or can i just do what editing i need in PSE??
PSE should have Camera RAW with it, you can use that. You can go to the Adobe website to get updates. Also your camera should have come with RAW software though I hated mine, lol! But yes, you do need some kind of converter.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
Mama-si
Having breakfast in Goofy's Kitchen

Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5
Camera: Canon 40D
CS5 has some pretty amazing new features for RAW - including a fantastic noise reduction feature. I have rescued a few pictures to date with it.

Mama-si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #19
cddiesel
Racing through the icy caverns of the Matterhorn

Software: SBC+ 3.0
I want to learn how to shoot and process RAW. I don't have a program to process. Well I do, CS2, but it's on my other computer which is down. Since I have a new camera, I guess I better get the computer fixed so I can shoot RAW.

If anyone comes across any tutorials or any info links, please post them. I'm trying to learn!

THANKS!

Christina
Mouse Ears Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I link to MouseScrappers! Pirate Ears Carol helped me book my vacation! Teacups United States of America Monorail Thanks for your help and contributions Christina! Thank you for using the Amazon link! Minnie\'s Bow Pirate Flag Magical Express Boardwalk 1 Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts!

cddiesel is offline   Reply With Quote