MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Challenges! > Challenges (gen'l info/notes)
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Virtual Pin Shop
Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Carolc
Administrator

Software: PSE 7
Camera: Nikon D50
Color Wheel Challenge - triad colors

Here is the second installment of the color wheel challenges. No prizes for doing this, no end date, just something for you to try. Hopefully this may help a few people (like me) who struggle with color selection. For this one, please use colors that form a 'triad' on the color wheel.

Here is the color wheel - the asterisks show just one example.

Since it's a little more involved than just a straight line, I looked for a definition and found one on http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-schemes.html
Quote:
The triadic color scheme uses three colors equally spaced around the color wheel. This scheme is popular among artists because it offers strong visual contrast while retaining balance, and color richness. The triadic scheme is not as contrasting as the complementary scheme, but it looks more balanced and harmonious.

Pros: The triadic color scheme offers high contrast while retaining harmony.
Cons: The triadic color scheme is not as contrasting as the complementary scheme.

Tips:
1. Choose one color to be used in larger amounts than others.
2. If the colors look gaudy, try to subdue them.
Rules:

1. must be Disney related

2. your layout should consist primarily of three colors that form a triad on the color wheel (have three main colors, but you can have a few shades/tones of each, if desired). Can also use black or white if needed. Keep accent colors to a minimum... it shouldn't detract from the three main colors.

3. use one or more photos. The photo(s) does not need to conform to any color rules, but you may want to try to use a photo that has a color that you want to accentuate (hint - use this color as a starting point and choose the color on the opposite side of the wheel... you have your colors already!)

4. upload to Gallery and post a linked image here. Paper or digital okay!

Double dipping is OK! You can use this layout for other challenges. Add as many layouts to this thread as you'd like.

TIP: Please try this website that Step told us about: http://colorschemedesigner.com/

I look forward to seeing how your layouts turn out!

Studio1955
Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Flag Pirate Dog Pop Century Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member Pirate Ears Disney Vacation Club Member Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Minnie Cupcake Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Minnie\'s Shoe Anna Ive met another MouseScrapper Transfer an existing reservation

Carolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Chef Minnie Mouse
E Ticket Holder

Software: CS6
Camera: Nikon D7000
Sounds fun Carol I will get to work
Mickey\'s glove Mickey\'s shorts I link to MouseScrappers! It\'s a Small World Thanks for being an outstanding contributor Lisa! Mexico Norway China Germany Italy United States of America Japan Morocco France United Kingdom Canada Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Mickey Pumpkin Pirate Dog Pirate Flag Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Earful Tower Captain EO Mickeys shoe Minnie\'s Shoe Minnie\'s Bow Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) I love DCL! D23 Member

Chef Minnie Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
AmandaAnn
Trying to find Nemo in the Tomorrowland lagoon

Software: PSE 8
Camera: Canon Rebel XS
What a neat idea! I will have to think about this one!

I link to MouseScrappers! Pirate Ears United States of America Japan Pirate Flag Disney Vacation Club Member Monorail Captain EO Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Magical Express Expedition Everest D23 Member I love DCL! Star Tours Rocket Jets

AmandaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:31 AM   #4
kateolas
Staying the night at Animal Kingdom Lodge

Software: Photoshop CC 2017 and Photoshop CS2
Camera: GE X500, Sony CyberShot
I need a good color challenge ..... thanks Carol for posting this one !!!

Mouse Ears United States of America Mickey\'s glove Mickeys shoe Mickey\'s shorts I link to MouseScrappers! Minnie\'s Bow Minnie\'s Shoe Thanks for being an outstanding contributor Me!iss@! Teacups Pirate Flag Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Earful Tower Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Ears Monorail Speed Scrapper! Expedition Everest Captain EO Cheshire Cat 1 Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Ive met another MouseScrapper

kateolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
PNWmom
Racing through the icy caverns of the Matterhorn

First attempt on all fronts

The triad I used was blue, red and yellow.

Thanks for the challenge Carol, I never would have thought to use yellow with these pictures otherwise.

Janna
Mouse Ears Mickey\'s shorts Mickey\'s glove Mickeys shoe Sorcerer\'s Hat Thanks for being an outstanding contributor to the site Janna! Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Monorail United States of America Pirate Ears I link to MouseScrappers! Minnie\'s Bow Minnie\'s Shoe Teacups

PNWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
Carolc
Administrator

What a super job! I love the tile pattern you created. The colors all work so well with each other. It's great to see this triad concept in action... it works!

Thanks so much for playing!

Studio1955
Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Flag Pirate Dog Pop Century Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member Pirate Ears Disney Vacation Club Member Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Minnie Cupcake Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Minnie\'s Shoe Anna Ive met another MouseScrapper Transfer an existing reservation

Old 05-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Carolc
Administrator

So here is my first attempt at a triad scheme. I took the orange color from one of the lanterns and plugged in the color code to http://colorschemedesigner.com/. This gave me the color codes for the two other colors. (this site makes it so easy!)

this layout was a scraplift of QuiltyMom's California Adventure layout

Studio1955

Last edited by Carolc; 05-24-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:02 AM   #8
Linece
Trying to find Nemo in the Tomorrowland lagoon

Software: Publisher and Gimp for the photos
Camera: Lumix panasonic and Nikon 1
This is my contribution for this challenge, the colors of Alice and the Mad Hatter inspire me the choice of the colours.

Visit my scrap blog, you're welcome!
France I link to MouseScrappers! Mickey\'s glove Minnie\'s Bow Sorcerer\'s Hat Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Speed Scrapper! Magical Express Cheshire Cat 1 Expedition Everest

Linece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
Carolc
Administrator

Orange, blue and green... this is perfect! I'm just learning about these color combinations, but Disney has been doing it all along (I just never noticed). This page is so nicely balanced. I love all the 'paper' elements you've used.

Thanks for playing!

Studio1955

Old 07-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Cherry Limeade
Cooling off in Critter Country

Software: PS CS5
This was an interesting challenge! I used Kuler to help me figure out my colors choosing a color from Stitch as the base color. Anyway, here's my LO.

I link to MouseScrappers! Mouse Ears Monorail Carousel horse Magical Express

Cherry Limeade is offline   Reply With Quote