MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Challenges! > Design Challenges
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
Notices

Old 07-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #1
frogfish
Taking the Monorail to EPCOT

Software: Photoshop CS4
Camera: Lumix
Design Challenge #34 - July/August 2017 - THEME

Theme for Design Challenge #34 - July/August 2017

The theme for this challenge is Pandora – The World of Avatar.

Pandora – The World of Avatar is based on James Cameron’s movie, Avatar, and opened at Walt Disney World’s Animal Kindgom in May of 2017.

As with all Design Challenges, you are limited only by your imagination; however, if you haven’t been to Pandora, here are some ideas…
  • Pandora is in Animal Kingdom, so the main theme is nature. The floating mountains of Pandora look different from our traditional view of nature, but the theme of life & environmental balance is very much the same as it is in the rest of Animal Kingdom. General nature kits are fine, too!
  • In Pandora, you are surrounded by plants of all types, not just the alien plant life -like the Flaska Reclinata- that gets centerstage.
  • There are new animal species as well. Some notable inhabitants include the Na’vi people, Banshee, Great Leonopteryx, Sturmbeest, Viperwolf, Stingbat, Hexapede, Thanator, & the Woodsprite.
  • New ride experiences include the Na’vi River Journey & Avatar: Flight of Passage (where you ride on the back of a Mountain Banshee!). There is enough to see in the queue line of Flight of Passage to create an entire kit.
  • Everything looks different at night. The green and brown natural colors of day transform into glowing neon colors in the darkness of night. The bioluminescence lights up everything, which changes the look and feel of the entire area.
  • There is food! Delicious & unique, the food and drink offerings in Pandora as well as the Satu’li Canteen restaurant itself could be your focus.
If you haven’t been fortunate enough to experience this amazing world first-hand, I encourage you to do a quick internet search for photos of what you’ve been missing. Below are some links with images to inspire you!
https://www.visitpandora.com/
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...lants-animals/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/de...rld-of-avatar/

Deadline - Friday, August 25 (by 11:59pm CST)
Reveal and Blog Hop on Friday, September 8.

This kit will not be sold in the MouseScrappers store. The only way to get it is to participate in the Design Challenge. Since the kit is only available to participants (shared between friends), many of the restrictions that were in place for previous challenges have been lifted. Please contact me if you have any questions.

As you are planning your contribution, please look through the things others are making so the kit doesn't have a lot of duplicate items. We want this kit to have tons of variety! Try something new, learn a new technique, and stretch your boundaries a little! Check out this thread for resources, tutorials, tips, and tricks for designers.

We would like to include two templates in this kit. A PhotoShop template with at least 25 layers will fulfill the minimum submission requirement. You should submit both a layered PhotoShop document and untrimmed PNG files named 1,2,3,4,5,etc. The first two people to post in this thread indicating a desire to create a template for this month’s challenge will be listed below.

Template 1: Roxana
Template 2: Scrappin2girls

Submission Guidelines:
  • Submissions can be any combination of papers, individual elements (such as ribbons, scatters, frames, etc), word art, alphas, and clusters. The minimum number of unique items is 5; the maximum number of unique items is 25. The same paper/element in different colors counts as one. A full alpha fulfills the minimum requirement. Although you may submit any combination of items you want, we would prefer to see themed mini kits (which include a combination of papers, elements, and possibly a coordinating alpha).
  • All papers and elements MUST use the provided color swatch—you can use any shade (darker or lighter) of the chosen colors. You may also use these neutral colors: black, white, shades of gray, brown, silver, gold, and green (when used for foliage only).
  • You must include a TOU in your submission. A basic fill-in-the-blank TOU can be found here if you don’t have one of your own.
  • There is no mb maximum for submissions, but please make sure you are sizing a saving your items according to the following guidelines.
    • Papers should be:
      • 12”x12” 300dpi (which is 3600pixels x 3600pixels),
      • Saved as a JPG file that is about 3mb.
        • In Photoshop, after clicking on the “Save As” button, enter the desired file name and select “JPG” from the dropdown menu; click on “OK”. A popup screen should appear entitled “JPG Options”; change the quality value to “8” and click on “OK”. Saving the file with a value of “8 or 10” for quality will ensure it is the correct size (approx. 3mb).
    • Elements/Alphas should be:
      • Sized appropriately for a 12”x12” 300dpi layout; make your items the same size you would want them to be when creating a layout. For example: 12"x12" is not a reasonable size for flower elements; 2"x2" is more appropriate,
      • Trimmed so there is a minimal amount of blank canvas around the item,
      • Saved as a PNG file—the file size (mb) will vary based on the size (inches) of the element.
    • A preview of your submission is required. It should be:
      • 600pixels x 600pixels 72dpi,
      • It must minimally include your name (the one you used to save the files) and pictures of the items that you created for the challenge,
      • Previews may be as basic or elaborate as you want them to be.
        • A basic preview would tile the papers and/or line up the elements,
        • A more elaborate preview would arrange papers and/or elements in a more creative manner—as designers do to advertise their kits.
Some quality issues to pay attention to are listed below. If you have questions about what these things are or how to prevent/fix them, please ask! Everyone can benefit from adhering to these bullet points.
  • Do not pre-shadow elements or elements on papers.
  • Make sure paper textures aren’t blurry at 100%.
  • Check that elements are not cut off or missing parts.
  • When extracting or creating elements, be sure the edges are not jagged. Do NOT use the paint bucket tool to recolor elements--you will get jagged edges every time!
  • After creating a paper or element, check to be sure it is in gamut.
You can find more information on QC issues here.

Files and Zipped Folder(s):
Naming your files:
Your MS username_DC#_element type_description
Paper Example: MMouse_DC50_paper_green.jpg
Element Example: MMouse_DC50_button_red.png
Alpha Example: MMouse_DC50_alpha_uppercase_A.png
Naming your folder(s):
Your MS username_DC#
Example: MMouse_DC50
If your username is longer than 8 characters, please use an abbreviation. Avoid using spaces anywhere in the file/folder name. If you design under a different name, you may use that name instead of your MouseScrappers name.
Please limit the size of each zipped folder to 50mb. If your submission is larger than 50 mb, please split it into separate zipped folders to help control download times. If you have more than one zipped folder, name them in this manner:
Your MS username_DC#_folderletter
Example: MMouse_DC50_A & MMouse_DC50_B
To zip files place all your elements and a TOU inside a folder, then zip that folder. This is automatically creates a folder containing your files in whatever folder the user unzips to. Please submit only ZIP files, do NOT submit RAR files.
There are many ways to compress (zip) a folder. You can use a program such as WINZIP or, if you are on a Windows operating system, there is a utility built into Windows that you can use.
  • Right click on the folder containing your items and select “Send To”. Click on “Compressed (zipped) folder”. A new folder will be created in the same directory with the same name but it will be compressed (zipped).

Uploading Submissions:
We will be utilizing Dropbox to collect submissions, so you will need a free, personal Dropbox account (dropbox.com). When you are ready to submit your items, upload your zipped folder(s) to your personal Dropbox. After you have the folder(s) uploaded, navigate to them in your Dropbox account and select "share" next to the desired folder. Choose "create a link" and then "copy link". Paste that link into a MouseScrappers PM to me, frogfish (Christina), and send. Note: if your submission includes more than one zipped folder, you must share the link to each individual zipped folder.

Disclaimer:
This kit will NOT be sold in the MouseScrappers store. The only way to get it is to participate! Every month you participate in this challenge, you will receive the resulting design challenge collaboration kit (for that month) free of charge, but will receive no compensation (monetary or otherwise) for your submission to the challenge. Copyright of your submission remains with you.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. You DON'T have to be a designer; anyone can do this! The more people who participate, the bigger the monthly kit will be!

Last edited by frogfish; 07-27-2017 at 11:02 AM.

frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
roxana
Checking out, and taking Magical Express back to MCO

Software: CS5
Camera: Canon
I will take template 1 pls.

I link to MouseScrappers! Mouse Ears Minnie\'s Bow Speed Scrapper! Sorcerer\'s Hat Jungle Cruise Peru Monorail Maracas Carousel horse Pirate Ears Teacups Pop Century Star Tours Captain EO Magical Express Thanks for being so helpful to others Roxana! Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Pirate Flag Viking Ship Pirate Dog Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Cheshire Cat 1 Minnie\'s Shoe It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Expedition Everest Mickey\'s glove Wish VoluntEAR - Castle

roxana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
LoveitScrapit
Buying my Disneyland park tickets

Software: Photoshop CS6
Camera: Canon Sx520 HS
Is there a color palette? Or did I miss it?

LoveitScrapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:29 AM   #4
frogfish
Taking the Monorail to EPCOT

Software: Photoshop CS4
Camera: Lumix
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveitScrapit View Post
Is there a color palette? Or did I miss it?
No color palette this time; any colors are fine as long as you stay within the theme.

frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
Scrappin2girls
Flying to Orlando

Software: Photoshop
Camera: Nikon d7100
I would like to do the 2nd template if I could.

Scrappin2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:25 AM   #6
Cindyrelly
Stopping for lunch at the Blue Bayou

Software: PhotoShop
Camera: Nikon 3100
I haven't been to visit Pandora yet, although I love the movie. Pandora is such a beautiful place and this theme is wonderful. I'm definitely in!
I link to MouseScrappers! Ive met another MouseScrapper

Cindyrelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
Pooh46
Watching the kids play in a bug's land

Software: Adobe CC
Camera: Nikon D5300
I will participate and also do the blog hop.
Mouse Ears Mickeys shoe Mickey\'s shorts I link to MouseScrappers! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Disney Vacation Club Member Boardwalk 1 Magical Express I love DCL! United States of America Sorcerer\'s Hat Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Teacups Minnie\'s Bow Earful Tower Ive met another MouseScrapper

Pooh46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
Cindyrelly
Stopping for lunch at the Blue Bayou

Software: PhotoShop
Camera: Nikon 3100
Hey everyone, since there isn't a palette I generated a few and have posted on my Blog.
I link to MouseScrappers! Ive met another MouseScrapper

Last edited by Cindyrelly; 07-26-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Cindyrelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:58 AM   #9
Romajo
Picking up some last minute souvenirs on Discovery Island

Camera: Sony
Haven't seen the movie, nor have I been lucky enough to go to WDW in the last few months, so I had to look for some inspiration. Watching some videos on YouTube really helped!
I already made 2 alphas (a nighttime and a daylight version, which can be used for more than just the World of Avatar). Hope to add a few more bits and pieces...
I hope to be able to finish it all before we go on vacation next week, including my bloghop parts.

Go to my shop, my blog and my Facebook page.
Netherlands Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Eiffel Tower Mickey Pumpkin Expedition Everest Mickey\'s shorts Mickey\'s glove Mickeys shoe

Romajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #10
Murmer
Getting some photos of the Tree of Life

I would like to participate...sent the link to my part. Won't be doing blog hop.
Ive met another MouseScrapper Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts!

Murmer is offline   Reply With Quote