MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Challenges! > Weekly Challenges
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Hpgirl
E Ticket Holder

Software: Photoshop Elements 10
Camera: Canon Rebel T3i
Weekly Challenge #67 (Jan 12 - Jan 18)

All of the speedscrapping this weekend for some reason made me think way back to when I first learned how to use photoshop. It was not actually for scrapbooking; I learned how to use it for the purpose of icon-making (as in the little pictures beside usernames. I know it was an unusual hobby). Working with on a 100 pixel by 100 pixel canvas is quite different from a 3600 by 3600 canvas, although the design principles are generally the same. With the small space however, different trends in design were more common. So this weeks challenge is inspired by some of the techniques from icon-making.

1. In a smaller space, it's really tricky to get more than one picture to look good. So for this challenge, use one picture as the focal point of the page. You can use as many papers - both solid and patterned - as you want, but the majority of your background should be a solid color.

2. Most of the icons I saw and made had some sort of editing done to jazz up the picture; I remember reading some tutorials which had as many as seven different adjustment/color layers with multiple layers of the photo. So make your photo editor do some work! You don't have to get too fancy; it can be as simple as making the picture black and white, sepia toned, or some other color tone. Or you play around with the contrast or saturation, or run an action on it (I know the Pioneer Woman blog has some fancy PS/PSE actions that adjust photos). Just something beyond the usual touch ups.

Edited to add: I'm sorry if the editing is ending up prohibitive - that wasn't my intent You can fudge this one as much as you want. If this step is too much, here's an alternative: use a stamp or brush-type element somewhere on your page.

3. Put some writing on your photo itself.

4. Also, somewhere on your page, use a typewriter font. It can be in the journaling, title, date, on the photo, wherever. This type of font tends to look good in a small space.

5. Give your page some sort of border. More complicated icons tended to look bend with some sort of defined border.

The rest - journaling, dating, title, etc., is up to you!

Here's the page I scrapped with these rules. On my photo, I adjusted the levels and the saturation.

Also posted in the forums here under Disneys Hollywood Studios Layouts > Mickey Avenue/Pixar Place > Animation Gallery.

Here's a preview of the participation prize. It's a little template set based on some layouts from this weekend.

The usual weekly challenge rules apply:
Layout must be Disney related.
Post your layout in the weekly challenges gallery.
Post your layout in the corresponding thread in the forums.
Come back to this thread and post your layout as well as the link to your layout in the forums.
Leave as much love for other particpants as you can!
Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Minnie\'s Bow Teacups I link to MouseScrappers! Cheshire Cat 1 Carousel horse Minnie\'s Shoe Earful Tower Magical Express Sorcerer\'s Hat Contemporary Resort 2 Pirate Dog Captain EO United States of America Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Mickey Pumpkin Italy Monorail Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Toy Story Boo Pirate 2 Sorcerers Hat Italy Green bear Ive met another MouseScrapper

Last edited by Hpgirl; 01-14-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
snowdrop

Software: Photoshop CC
Camera: Canon & Sony
I used to design icons, too! Not that many, but I did it for a little bit, and I can definitely remember all those tips/rules. I loved doing some of those tuts that had a ton of level/adjustments (had a few memorized, I'm sure I can't remember them now, lol!) Fun challenge!

See the over 300 characters I've met at WDW, DL, & DLP: I Love Characters

Disney digital scrapbook LOs: (40+ trips, 2007-2019)
Disney paper albums: 2007 (a work in progress!) / 2003-2007 day trips
Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Mouse Ears Sorcerer\'s Hat Mickey Pumpkin Thanks for being an outstanding contributor to the site Heather! I link to MouseScrappers! It\'s a Small World I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Boardwalk 1 Captain EO Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Pooh Marie Cupcake Ive met another MouseScrapper I love DCL! Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Eiffel Tower

Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
Chef Minnie Mouse
E Ticket Holder

Software: CS6
Camera: Nikon D7000
Sounds fun Laura! Off to think of what to
Mickey\'s glove Mickey\'s shorts I link to MouseScrappers! It\'s a Small World Thanks for being an outstanding contributor Lisa! Mexico Norway China Germany Italy United States of America Japan Morocco France United Kingdom Canada Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Mickey Pumpkin Pirate Dog Pirate Flag Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Earful Tower Captain EO Mickeys shoe Minnie\'s Shoe Minnie\'s Bow Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) I love DCL! D23 Member

Old 01-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
tiggernjen
E Ticket Holder

Software: PSE10
Camera: Nikon D40
I'm not a designer, so I'm not sure how it do this challenge...But I'll give it a try...
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Disney Vacation Club Member I link to MouseScrappers! Minnie\'s Bow Monorail Mouse Ears Boardwalk 1 Teacups Sorcerer\'s Hat Mickey\'s glove Earful Tower Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Pirate Dog D23 Member Jungle Cruise Contemporary Resort 1 Limited Edition Amazon pin #1 I love DCL! I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Limited Edition Amazon pin #5 Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Lyn! Big Eyes Donald Mickey Parts Ive met another MouseScrapper Carol helped me book my vacation!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
leslie_537
E Ticket Holder

Software: Phtoshop CS 4
Camera: Nikon D40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggernjen View Post
I'm not a designer, so I'm not sure how it do this challenge...But I'll give it a try...
You can still use a kit to follow the rules Jen! The only one some people might have problems with is editing the photo.
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Mouse Ears United States of America Mickey Pumpkin Monorail Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Minnie\'s Bow Teacups Star Tours Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Captain EO Mickey\'s shorts Skyway Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Pirate Dog It\'s a Small World Thanks for making MouseScrappers a better place Leslie! Carousel horse Minnie\'s Shoe Mickeys shoe Cheshire Cat 1 Pirate Flag Sorcerer\'s Hat

Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
hmcfall711
Riding Radiator Springs Racers

Thanks for hosting this challenge.

I have to say I really liked the criteria and think the challenge was fun but when I loaded my LO the photo seems WAY too blurry. My photo is not blurry at all. Who knows.

Also here.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
QuiltyMom
E Ticket Holder

Software: Creative Memories SBC+ 4.0
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ150
One photo? humm... ack.

I gotta think on this one! And thanks for the tempaltes.

Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I link to MouseScrappers! Thanks for being an outstanding contributor Jan! Mouse Ears Earful Tower Pirate Ears Mickeys shoe Mickey\'s shorts Mickey\'s glove It\'s a Small World Eiffel Tower Monorail Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Teacups Viking Ship I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Skyway Carousel horse Pop Century Magical Express Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! I love DCL! Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Pirate Flag Pirate Dog Jungle Cruise Rocket Jets Ive met another MouseScrapper

Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
hichchei
Learning some history in The American Adventure

Camera: Fujifilm Finepix JV
Want To Play ???

http://www.mousescrappers.com/photos...=10364&cat=575

http://mousescrappers.com/forums/sho...ed=1#post51730
Pirate Ears Monorail Carousel horse Magical Express Mickey\'s shorts Teacups Sorcerer\'s Hat It\'s a Small World Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Maracas Mickey\'s glove Star Tours United States of America

Old 01-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
ana_carol
E Ticket Holder

Here is my try Laura. I hope i followed all the rules.
Thanks for hosting

Thread posted here
http://www.mousescrappers.com/forums...1817#post51817
Mouse Ears Minnie\'s Bow Pirate Ears Mickey\'s glove Speed Scrapper! Brazil Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Minnie\'s Shoe Mickey Pumpkin Pop Century Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Ana Carol! Redfan Great Britain Morocco Miss Piggy 1 Canada Wish VoluntEAR - Castle

Old 01-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
This Dixie Pixie
E Ticket Holder

I hope the magnification counts as my jazzed up photo editing. Lord knows I worked at it long enough learning how to do it!

Also posted here:
Miscellaneous
I link to MouseScrappers! Monorail Speed Scrapper! Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Mouse Ears Magical Express Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Canada Rocket Jets Sorcerer\'s Hat I got Maleficent as a dragon for referring people to MouseScrappers! Minnie\'s Bow Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Mickey\'s shorts It\'s a Small World Cheshire Cat 1 Carousel horse Star Tours Captain EO Mickey\'s glove Minnie\'s Shoe Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Mickeys shoe Pop Century Jungle Cruise Skyway United States of America Pirate Dog Teacups

Last edited by This Dixie Pixie; 01-13-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Closed Thread