MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > More Disney fun and memories > Photobooks / Albums
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Virtual Pin Shop
Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
marlajb
Riding Radiator Springs Racers

Software: Photoshop Elements
Camera: Nikon D3100
so my book just arrived (took Blurb less than one week to make it and get it to me!) and there's no one home to enjoy it with me... my husband and older son are away for the weekend and the little one is with my parents. It looks great (I'm always a little worried that what's on the screen won't come out as good on paper) and I can't wait to share it with my family tomorrow!!

marlajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
gfengel
Testing cars on Test Track

Software: CS 5.5
Camera: Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Marla,

I'm so curious to know how your book turned out. I'm thinking about using Blurb to print a book I'm doing right now. I will have between 120 and 140 pages by the time I'm done, I think. Anyway I have a couple of Blurb questions for you...

How many pages was your book? I looked at it a while ago and I cannot remember.

Did you import your pages into their software before you printed or did you upload them as PDF files (I think you can do it that way...)? If you did use their software (or, I guess even if you didn't), does it look like it did trim the 1/2 inch all the way around each page?

I had about 70 pages done when I first uploaded them to the Book Smart software only to find out that a good share of my elements and journaling were within the dreaded pink zone.

SO, I had to redo a bunch of them. The one and only other book I have done was less than 100 pages and I had it printed through Shutterfly. Shutterfly doesn't stress the issue of the 1/2 inch around the page and all of my layouts looked great.

Anyway, now I don't particularly like the way my layouts look with that extra 1/2 inch trimmed all the way around - especially when I use overlays and stitching that is supposed to go around the outside edge of the page. Most of those will be lost completely if they cut off the 1/2 inch all the way around.

Anyway, since you've just gotten your book back, I thought you might be able to give me your opinion. I will probably still avoid the pink zone, but I just wondered if I really needed to.

Thanks so much for any information you can give me!

Gayle
Mouse Ears I link to MouseScrappers! Contemporary Resort 1 Disney Vacation Club Member Contemporary Resort 2 Monorail Cheshire Cat 1 Mickey Pumpkin Rocket Jets Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Minnie Bride Magical Express Boardwalk 1 Star Tours Sorcerer\'s Hat Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! France Captain EO Eiffel Tower Earful Tower Carousel horse It\'s a Small World Expedition Everest

gfengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #13
marlajb
Riding Radiator Springs Racers

Software: Photoshop Elements
Camera: Nikon D3100
Gayle,

My book was 80 pages. Blurb's pricing is a little different; they have one price 1-40 pages, another 41-80, another 81-120... so I was really trying to keep it to 80 pages. I love that pricing system -- I don't have to decide if each page is worth the cost per page like I did in Shutterfly... and since it wasn't a very long trip, it was easy (this time).

The longest book I've printed with Blurb was 115 pages -- it came out very nicely, too. I just checked on the site -- the maximum is 440 pages, but 160 if you want premium paper (which I always use).

This was the first time that I used Photoshop to do my pages. I saved them as jpg's and imported into Booksmart. For my previous books, I just used Booksmart, but it is not good for real scrapping (you can't tilt photos, layering is difficult, etc.). I was more than a little nervous to see how it turned out with the imported jpgs, but it's absolutely fine.

As for the 1/2 inch trim, yes, they do really trim everything, but not quite that much (it's probably more like 1/8, but they want you to be safe). I was afraid of losing things, too, so I made a layout in Booksmart that left a 1/2 inch border and then filled that border with a coordinating paper (it basically looks like I matted everything). I guess you might not like that if you have stitching that goes over the edge; it worked for me.

I started using Booksmart a few years ago to make a book out of our family blog -- they have a program that "slurps" all the text/photos off a blog and puts it right in Booksmart. I've been really happy with their quality. Shutterfly was ok for quick books, but I always felt somewhat limited (that's probably not the case any more, I haven't used them in over 2 years).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

marlajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #14
gfengel
Testing cars on Test Track

Software: CS 5.5
Camera: Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Marla,

Thank you for your detailed reply!

It is so helpful to have an expert opinion!! I can't wait to get my book finished so that I can upload everything and get the final result back.

I figured there was a margin of error worked into the 1/2 inch, but I'm going to go with that just to be on the safe side. After I have this book printed and once I see how the finished product compares to what the book looks like in BookSmart, maybe I will be a little more adventurous.

Thank you, thank you for taking the time to reply! I appreciate it very much! And, again, GREAT work on your book. It looks terrific!

Gayle
Mouse Ears I link to MouseScrappers! Contemporary Resort 1 Disney Vacation Club Member Contemporary Resort 2 Monorail Cheshire Cat 1 Mickey Pumpkin Rocket Jets Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Minnie Bride Magical Express Boardwalk 1 Star Tours Sorcerer\'s Hat Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! France Captain EO Eiffel Tower Earful Tower Carousel horse It\'s a Small World Expedition Everest

gfengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
ncmousemom
Trying to find Nemo in the Tomorrowland lagoon

Software: PSE
Camera: Canon Rebel
awesome book. I know you are super happy it is finished.

Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Cheshire Cat 1 I link to MouseScrappers! Pirate Ears Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Mouse Ears Minnie\'s Bow Mickey Pumpkin Pirate Flag

ncmousemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #16
Kramer.zoo
Taking the boat to the Studios

Software: PSE 10
Camera: Nikon D3000
Fantastic job!!!

Your book is so cute!! Now I am more determined to get mine done!!

How did you like using Blurb.com??? How do you feel the picture quality is?? I am doing my research now so I can order as soon as I am ready...

Beautiful!! And thanks for the help!!

I link to MouseScrappers! Mouse Ears Minnie\'s Bow United States of America Mexico Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Mickey Pumpkin Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Pumpkin Mickey Pooh Beast Confetti Cupcake Pete

Kramer.zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:39 AM   #17
Uwsharp
Taking a Behind the Seeds tour

Software: Photoshop Elements 6.0
Camera: Canon Powershot and Canon Rebel Xsi
You did a fantastic job on your book. I am sure that your sons will be so excited to see the finished product.

I am glad that you were able to go back and add all of the hidden Mickeys.

signature made using Connie Prince's Main Street Magic
Mouse Ears Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Star Tours Mickey Pumpkin Mickey\'s glove Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Cheshire Cat 1 2011 Special Edition pin #7 2011 Special Edition pin #2 2011 Special Edition pin #5

Uwsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:31 AM   #18
meejay
Stopping for lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern

Software: PSCS 5.5
Camera: iPhone 4s, Canon Powershot SX230, Nikon D5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlajb View Post
... I went by the motto that an imperfect finished photobook is a lot better than an almost perfect not-printed one... and just got it done. If I can do it, you can do it!
This is so true! I need to adhere to that and get mine printed!

It looks great, how exciting! Be sure to get pics of your little guy when he sees it for the first time, then you have more to scrap! LOL I LOVE the photos of Hollywood and Vine - I wondered what Oso looked like. We have a ressie there in October.

Now Planning for Fall 2015 - back to Caribbean Beach!
Minnie\'s Bow Mouse Ears I link to MouseScrappers! It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar United States of America Earful Tower 2011 Special Edition pin #7 2011 Special Edition pin #1 Teacups 2011 Special Edition pin #6 2011 Special Edition pin #5 I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Carousel horse

Last edited by meejay; 06-30-2011 at 05:37 AM.

meejay is offline   Reply With Quote