MouseScrappers.com

MouseScrappers.com (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Design Challenges (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9715)
-   -   Design Challenge #31 - January/February 2017 - COLORS (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16030)

frogfish 01-07-2017 09:42 AM

Design Challenge #31 - January/February 2017 - COLORS

Color Swatch for Design Challenge #31 - January/February 2017

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/...psge8wxnli.png

Hex Codes: #1a2434, #3b4b6f, #e1e0cb, #bf4339, #4b1f20, #304130

Deadline - Friday, February 24 (by 11:59pm CST)
Reveal and Blog Hop on Friday, March 3.

This kit will not be sold in the MouseScrappers store. The only way to get it is to participate in the Design Challenge. Since the kit is only available to participants (shared between friends), many of the restrictions that were in place for previous challenges have been lifted. Please contact me if you have any questions.

As you are planning your contribution, please look through the things others are making so the kit doesn't have a lot of duplicate items. We want this kit to have tons of variety! Try something new, learn a new technique, and stretch your boundaries a little! Check out this thread for resources, tutorials, tips, and tricks for designers.

We would like to include two templates in this kit. A PhotoShop template with at least 25 layers will fulfill the minimum submission requirement. You should submit both a layered PhotoShop document and untrimmed PNG files named 1,2,3,4,5,etc. The first two people to post in this thread indicating a desire to create a template for this month’s challenge will be listed below.

Template 1: murmer
Template 2: roxana

Submission Guidelines:
  • Submissions can be any combination of papers, individual elements (such as ribbons, scatters, frames, etc), word art, alphas, and clusters. The minimum number of unique items is 5; the maximum number of unique items is 25. The same paper/element in different colors counts as one. A full alpha fulfills the minimum requirement. Although you may submit any combination of items you want, we would prefer to see themed mini kits (which include a combination of papers, elements, and possibly a coordinating alpha).
  • All papers and elements MUST use the provided color swatch—you can use any shade (darker or lighter) of the chosen colors. You may also use these neutral colors: black, white, shades of gray, brown, silver, gold, and green (when used for foliage only).
  • You must include a TOU in your submission. A basic fill-in-the-blank TOU can be found here if you don’t have one of your own.
  • There is no mb maximum for submissions, but please make sure you are sizing a saving your items according to the following guidelines.
    • Papers should be:
      • 12”x12” 300dpi (which is 3600pixels x 3600pixels),
      • Saved as a JPG file that is about 3mb.
        • In Photoshop, after clicking on the “Save As” button, enter the desired file name and select “JPG” from the dropdown menu; click on “OK”. A popup screen should appear entitled “JPG Options”; change the quality value to “8” and click on “OK”. Saving the file with a value of “8 or 10” for quality will ensure it is the correct size (approx. 3mb).
    • Elements/Alphas should be:
      • Sized appropriately for a 12”x12” 300dpi layout; make your items the same size you would want them to be when creating a layout. For example: 12"x12" is not a reasonable size for flower elements; 2"x2" is more appropriate,
      • Trimmed so there is a minimal amount of blank canvas around the item,
      • Saved as a PNG file—the file size (mb) will vary based on the size (inches) of the element.
    • A preview of your submission is required. It should be:
      • 600pixels x 600pixels 72dpi,
      • It must minimally include your name (the one you used to save the files) and pictures of the items that you created for the challenge,
      • Previews may be as basic or elaborate as you want them to be.
        • A basic preview would tile the papers and/or line up the elements,
        • A more elaborate preview would arrange papers and/or elements in a more creative manner—as designers do to advertise their kits.
Some quality issues to pay attention to are listed below. If you have questions about what these things are or how to prevent/fix them, please ask! Everyone can benefit from adhering to these bullet points.
  • Do not pre-shadow elements or elements on papers.
  • Make sure paper textures aren’t blurry at 100%.
  • Check that elements are not cut off or missing parts.
  • When extracting or creating elements, be sure the edges are not jagged. Do NOT use the paint bucket tool to recolor elements--you will get jagged edges every time!
  • After creating a paper or element, check to be sure it is in gamut.
You can find more information on QC issues here.

Files and Zipped Folder(s):
Naming your files:
Your MS username_DC#_element type_description
Paper Example: MMouse_DC50_paper_green.jpg
Element Example: MMouse_DC50_button_red.png
Alpha Example: MMouse_DC50_alpha_uppercase_A.png
Naming your folder(s):
Your MS username_DC#
Example: MMouse_DC50
If your username is longer than 8 characters, please use an abbreviation. Avoid using spaces anywhere in the file/folder name. If you design under a different name, you may use that name instead of your MouseScrappers name.
Please limit the size of each zipped folder to 50mb. If your submission is larger than 50 mb, please split it into separate zipped folders to help control download times. If you have more than one zipped folder, name them in this manner:
Your MS username_DC#_folderletter
Example: MMouse_DC50_A & MMouse_DC50_B
To zip files place all your elements and a TOU inside a folder, then zip that folder. This is automatically creates a folder containing your files in whatever folder the user unzips to. Please submit only ZIP files, do NOT submit RAR files.
There are many ways to compress (zip) a folder. You can use a program such as WINZIP or, if you are on a Windows operating system, there is a utility built into Windows that you can use.
  • Right click on the folder containing your items and select “Send To”. Click on “Compressed (zipped) folder”. A new folder will be created in the same directory with the same name but it will be compressed (zipped).

Uploading Submissions:
We will be utilizing DropITtoME to collect submissions. When you are ready to submit you items, send frogfish (Christina) a PM for the link and password. Don't worry, it's super easy and I will receive your submission immediately (no waiting to download).

Disclaimer:
This kit will NOT be sold in the MouseScrappers store. The only way to get it is to participate! Every month you participate in this challenge, you will receive the resulting design challenge collaboration kit (for that month) free of charge, but will receive no compensation (monetary or otherwise) for your submission to the challenge. Copyright of your submission remains with you.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. You DON'T have to be a designer; anyone can do this! The more people who participate, the bigger the monthly kit will be!

hdmichael 01-07-2017 12:34 PM

I am going to try and participate again, but I am not sure what would be a good theme. I thought I would try Main Street unless someone has a better idea.

shahar29 01-07-2017 12:37 PM

I will be participating - but no idea about theme yet....I'll have to think on it for awhile!

Romajo 01-07-2017 02:09 PM

Me too... really have to think about something... Something nautical was the first thing I thought of...

kateolas 01-10-2017 11:35 AM

In an effort to be more creative this year ..... I want to design and create more so I am hopping on board this blog train.

:idea:

As I was looking around for some inspiration .... it hit me. I am going to do a "Liberty Square" themed mini kit. I think the two different hues of blue with the two hues of red color ... along with the white will work out perfect. And I can make some really cool coordinating patriotic elements too. And the green is perfect for any foliage color.

Murmer 01-10-2017 01:34 PM

I'm in...can I do a template again?

roxana 01-10-2017 03:02 PM

I will take the other template pls

RMSTigger 01-10-2017 05:54 PM

I'll create an alpha and will come up with something for the hop. I fly out for WDW 1/27 so I'll brainstorm some ideas while down there!

frogfish 01-13-2017 06:11 AM

The 2 template spaces have been claimed. Thank you!

MJAJmom 01-16-2017 06:45 PM

I'd like to jump back in this year!! I'll do a pirate theme. :woohoo: